About Us

+ Our Philosophy
Barrington Legal was founded on a simple idea of providing personalized legal representation, while still delivering "Big Law Firm" results. We pride ourselves on excellent client-relations and our ability to service each of our clients' individualized needs. We strive to create a unique relationship with all of our clients, where dialogue with our attorneys is easily accessible and not merely at the attorneys' convenience. We believe the current model of the attorney-client relationship commonly offered is out-dated, and causes many clients to shy away from speaking to the person tasked to protect their interests: their attorney.

This difference in quality of representation has resulted in clients located all throughout California, from individuals in need of help to businesses looking to continue to prosper and grow. Our clients' continued success is the key to our continued success. It is this philosophy that we bring to every case and client we represent.

+ Our Promises
A licensed attorney handles your case.
We never charge you for consulting with us.
You may contact us 24/7.
We fight for the result you want.
You are our priority.
+ Frequently Asked Questions
How should I choose my attorney?
Once you have spoken to one of our attorneys, we will set up a consultation either via telephone or in-person, whichever is more convenient for you. During the consultation, we will thoroughly discuss your case, the facts leading up to your potential claims, your desired results, and your potential options to obtain those results.
How much will it cost to hire a lawyer?
This depends on the type of case. We charge on a contingency fee basis, an hourly basis, a flat fee, or a combination thereof. Generally, there is no set fee structure, so clients should feel free to work with our team to find an arrangement that works best for both parties.
How long after actions arise do I have the right to bring a lawsuit?
By and large, you have a finite amount of time after a cause of action arises to bring a lawsuit. The statute of limitations is a law that commonly bars claims after a specified period of time. It is imperative that you speak to one of our attorneys as soon as possible to determine whether your claims are in danger of being barred by the applicable statute of limitations.
Does Barrington Legal offer complimentary consultations?
We never charge for your initial consultation. Our attorneys will spend as much time as is necessary to evaluate your claim(s) and determine the best options available to obtain the results you are seeking.
What should I do to prepare for my consultation?
All consultations are handled by an attorney at our firm. You should be prepared to speak candidly with us once the consultation begins. Generally speaking, everything you say is protected under the attorney-client privilege, despite the fact that you have not formally retained us as your counsel. You do not have to bring your documents, but it is always helpful to have the evidence pertaining to your claims available for review at the start of your consultation. Each case is different, so please do not hesitate to ask any specific questions before the consultation as well.
Accidents | Personal Injury
What do I need to do to make a claim for damages against someone?
If you are in need of medical attention, then please first go to the nearest hospital to receive treatment. Then, you should call an attorney to schedule an appointment. At that initial meeting, the attorney will review the facts of your case and provide an opinion on liability and your damages.
What is the time limit for filing a personal injury case?
As soon as an accident occurs, a clock starts ticking. Under the law, you must bring forth a claim within a set period of time after the incident. This is called the statute of limitations. This time varies, depending on the case. Because the time for bringing a claim varies, it is imperative to speak to lawyer as soon as possible after an injury-causing incident.
How do I choose a personal injury lawyer?
Working with a trusted personal injury lawyer important. Representing yourself is not recommended, because these claims are highly complex. Insurance adjusters do not have your best interest in mind. Having an advocate on your side could make all of the difference in your case and consequently your future.
What can I expect from the initial consultation?
Once you’ve decided to speak with a lawyer at Barrington Legal, we’ll want to take down some initial information from you over the phone. This ensures that an in person consultation is appropriate. We may ultimately suggest you speak with another lawyer who is better suited to handle your case, if we are not a good fit. The initial consultation may take place at our office, or we may come to you depending on your location and level of mobility. We will ask you about the incident, but more importantly we strive to make a professional relationship and connection with you and your family, which we hope endures throughout the case.
Can I just settle my case?
As much as we enjoy the challenge of bringing a case to trial, we also recognize that the best result for our client is sometimes a speedy resolution for maximum recovery. Our firm’s practice is to always reach out to the other side before a lawsuit is filed in order to explore all of our client’s options. If the opposing side requests medical records or an analysis of the case, we are willing to provide that to the appropriate parties. In a civil case, we need to prove our facts to a jury, and the other side will get all this information during the discovery phase of the lawsuit. According to how we see it, we might as well show the other side how we will prevail and why they should settle the case now.
How much could I recover?
This depends on a variety of factors, including the severity of your injury, the circumstances that caused your injury, and how much your injury will affect your life in the years to come. This analysis cannot be competed without a full investigation of the facts of your case.

Schedule a complimentary consultation at our office to receive a specific analysis from a seasoned professional on our team.

I don't think I can afford an attorney — what can I do?
At our firm, we do not charge an upfront hourly fee for personal injury cases, and we often front litigation costs for our clients if necessary.

If we do not recover an amount for you, there will be no fee for our services whatsoever--including any costs we incurred. If we do recover an amount for you, our fee will be taken as a percentage from the final recovery amount.

This levels the playing field, making it possible for everyone to have access to the courts to pursue the justice they deserve without the trauma of further financial strain.

Landlord & Tenant | Real Estate
How is a tenant removed from a rental unit?
Typically, the tenant must first be served a 3-Day Notice to Quit, which must include the reason the tenant is being removed. After the Notice expires and the tenant still resides in the unit, the landlord must file an Unlawful Detainer complaint with the Superior Court.
After filing the complaint, the landlord must serve the tenant with a copy of the summons and complaint for the lawsuit. Once the tenant is served, the tenant has 5 days to file a responsive pleading. A landlord can't forcefully remove the tenant, without first obtaining a Judgment from court. After the Judgment, the Sheriff will be instructed to actually evict the tenant.
What is an Unlawful Detainer?
Unlawful Detainer is the type of lawsuit a landlord must file to evict a tenant. It's just a fancy name for an eviction lawsuit.
How long does an Unlawful Detainer take?
This answer depends largely on how quickly the landlord files and serves the necessary documents and how much of a fight the tenant puts up. Getting a judgment in an Unlawful Detainer can be as quick as 4 weeks or could take as long as 6 months and more. We always discuss the timeline and our predicitions in the case with our clients, so to make sure they are always comfortable with the specific strategy.
How must the landlord serve a tenant with the necessary documents?
A landlord can serve the tenant with a Notice to Quit (required before filing an Unlawful Detainer) by either: (a) personally serving the tenant; (b) by serving another adult at the unit AND by mailing a copy to the unit; or (c) by posting a copy on the door of the unit AND mailing a copy to the unit.
How long must the Notice to Quit be?
This answer depends on a number of things, including how long the tenant has been residing in the unit, whether the lease includes any specific provisions regarding the required notice, whether the unit is rent controlled, and the specific reason for evicting the tenant. It could be as quick as 3 days or as long as 120 days. In many circumstances, a 3-Day Notice to Quit is proper.
How can a landlord violate a tenant's rights?
Just like the tenant has a duty to pay rent, to maintain the premises, and to generally not be a nuisance, a landlord also has specific duties. For instance, a landlord is responsible for conducting any necessary repairs in a unit. The tenant is required to inform the landlord of any necessary repairs, and the landlord must make these repairs in a reasonable time. If the landlord does not do this, the landlord could be subject to penalties and owe the tenant money; the tenant may even also be able to withhold rent in some circumstances.
What if the unit is unpermitted?
A landlord can't collect money from a tenant for renting an un-permitted unit. If the unit is un-permitted, the tenant may be able to stop paying rent and the landlord wont be able to evict the tenant for non-payment of rent, because the landlord is not legally allowed to collect rent for the un-permitted unit.
Additionally, the landlord may be liable for paying the tenant a relocation fee, which may range between $5,000 - $20,000, depending on how long the tenant has been living in the unit and other information.
Business & Corporate Law
Why should I incorporate my business?
Both corporations and LLCs allow owners to separate and protect their personal assets. In a properly structured and managed corporation or LLC, owners should have limited liability for business debts and obligations. Corporations generally have more corporate formalities than an LLC that must be observed to obtain personal asset protection.
Should I incorporate in California or Delaware?
The laws in Delaware are said to be “pro-management”. That means the laws slightly favor CEOs and other managers over the shareholders. This is beneficial to corporations that anticipate having a large number of shareholders. However, if a corporation is unlikely to be sued by a shareholder or seeking venture capital to go public, the extra costs and burden of incorporating in Delaware make the benefits negligible.

Overall, there are very few benefits, if any, for a business owner in California to form a Delaware LLC when the company will be held by only a few shareholders and operated in California.

What is business litigation?
Businesses have laws set in place by the federal government, state government, the city, the company’s governing documents, and contracts between parties. They dictate what is and what is not permitted. Business litigation focusses on legal matters of businesses and provides a process to enforce businesses’ rights.
How do I know if litigation is the best choice to resolve my business dispute?
Most people do not jump into litigation without trying to amicably resolve their disagreements beforehand. Oftentimes, parties will agree to arbitrate or mediate their claims before deciding to bring an action before a judge. Whatever path you choose to resolve your dispute, our lawyers will fully inform you of your rights and responsibilities to make sure you are always positioned to secure the best possible outcome.
How long will my business litigation case take?
To answer this question, our lawyers would have to know the level of complexity of your matter. A few of the many factors which play a role in determining how long cases take are: 1) whether the adverse party(ies) are willing to comply; 2) how much evidence is needed to gather; and 3) how much preparation is needed to go to trial. Cases can take as little as several months to as long as several years.
How is business litigation different than other types of law?
Business litigation can be especially complex because there are oftentimes many different governing documents operating together. Businesses can have operating agreements, by-laws or other governing documents working concurrently with commercial documents and contracts. Without the help of a qualified attorney, your opponent may take advantage of grey areas and gain an upper hand.
If I don’t know whether I should file a complaint, what should I do?
Even if you choose to go elsewhere, our attorneys are bound by the rules of confidentiality. We work with businesses in good times and bad times and understand this is a very important decision. We want to work together to put you in a better position than you were in before you stepped in our office.
What happens if my employee(s) sue me?
California has some of the most stringent labor regulations in the country and is a hotbed of employment litigation for local, national and international corporations. Our attorneys defend companies of all sizes against employment discrimination, employee classification, meal periods and rest breaks, and other complex labor matters.
Am I an At-Will employee?
The California Labor Code states that all employees are assumed to be “at will.” This means that you or your employer may end the employment relationship for any reason at any time, even without warnings or serious performance problems. At-will employees are different from contract employees, whose contracts (often, a union agreement) may specify the conditions and circumstances under which a company may terminate the worker.

The most important thing to be aware of is that even if your employment is at-will, you do not give up all your rights under state and federal law. Employees may not be terminated for illegal reasons, such as discrimination, harassment or in retaliation complaining about any illegal activity by the employer or its managers. Violation of these laws, whether against at-will or contract employees, can leave an employer liable for wrongful termination.

How do you know whether there’s been an employee who was misclassified?
An independent contractor is a worker who is under contract to perform a certain type of work that typically lasts for a specific amount of time. An employee is an individual whose employer has the right to control their terms and conditions of work and the way in which tasks are completed.

There are many factors used to determine a worker’s status as an independent contractor or employee. The most significant one is the right to control. If the employer exercises control over how, when and where the worker performs their duties, then the worker is most likely an employee. Independent contractors can control the way in which they do their work. There are many other factors which must be considered as well.

How do I know if there is a hostile working environment?
A “hostile work environment” is a legal term that refers to verbal or physical harassment in the workplace against certain protected classes of people.

A supervisor being rude, or an employer simply disliking an employee and deciding to make them unhappy until they quit, or even firing them, do not fall under legally-defined hostile work environment unless the treatment is based on the employee’s membership of a protected class.

Under California law, a work environment can be considered hostile if the conduct is so severe and pervasive that it alters the conditions of the victim’s employment. A reasonable person would have to agree that the hostility interferes with the employee’s ability to do their job, causes emotional distress or disrupts their career progress. The California Legislature and court decisions make it clear that sexual harassment does not have to be motivated by sexual desire for the victim.

Under California law, people are in “protected classes” on the basis of:

• Race or Color
• Religious Creed
• National Origin or Ancestry
• Physical Disability, Mental Disability or Medical Condition
• Marital Status
• Sex / Gender
• Sexual Orientation
• Gender Identity or Gender Expression
• Age
• Military or Veteran Status
• Genetic Information

What constitutes discrimination in the workplace?
There are very specific federal and California employment laws that determine whether an employer’s actions qualify as discrimination. An employee simply experiencing unfair treatment from the employer is not enough to establish a discrimination claim.

Unfair treatment becomes unlawful if an employer discriminates against an employee based on their membership in a “protected class.” Under California law, people are in protected classes on the basis of:

• Race or Color
• Religious Creed
• National Origin or Ancestry
• Physical Disability, Mental Disability or Medical Condition
• Marital Status
• Sex/Gender
• Sexual Orientation
• Gender Identity or Gender Expression
• Age
• Military or Veteran Status
• Genetic Information

What do you do if you feel you have suffered discrimination?
Although it may seem difficult, the very first step in dealing with discrimination or harassment in the workplace is to talk to your employer or supervisor. Make sure your supervisor knows what is happening, assuming that he or she is not the perpetrator. Additionally, you should approach your company’s human resources manager and inform him or her of the improper conduct. Unfortunately, many discriminatory acts go unrecognized and unpunished because the victim is not fully informing the employer that the conduct is occurring.

To assist you in properly documenting the discrimination or harassment, it’s a good idea to keep written notes tracking when specific incidents occurred. You may want to note the date, time, place, any witnesses, and as many details of what improper conduct occurred.

How do I know who is entitled to overtime pay?
California has stricter overtime pay laws than many other states. Employers are required to pay overtime for both authorized and unauthorized overtime hours. Unless they meet an exemption, California requires that employees who work over eight hours a day or forty hours in a week, or work on the seventh consecutive day of a work week, be paid overtime at 1.5 times their regular rate of pay. In addition, hours over 12 worked in a day or hours over eight worked on the seventh consecutive day in a week are paid at two times an employee’s regular rate of pay.

In some cases, an employer may implement an alternative work week that allows employees to work up to 10 hours per day for four days per week without receiving overtime. However, if employees work more than the hours stipulated in the agreement, they must be paid overtime. Normal double-time rules also apply. Furthermore, the agreement must follow strict legal guidelines, which include that it must be approved by two-thirds of employees in a secret ballot held during regular work hours.

What is an exempt and non-exempt employee?
Employers are required to classify employees as either exempt or non-exempt. The major difference between the two categories is that non-exempt employees receive overtime pay, whereas exempt employees receive the same pay regardless of how many hours they work in a pay period. However, sometimes employees are wrongly classified as exempt, and may be owed unpaid overtime. The three main categories of exempt workers are: administrative, executive and professional (commonly called “white collar” exemptions). In general, “Executive Exemption” refers to those who manage two or more people and have real input on hiring, firing and performance review. “Administrative Exemption” refers to certain high-level individual contributors such as high-level financial analysts, marketing managers, stockbrokers or advertising account managers. Both executive and administrative employees must spend over half their time on exempt duties. “Professional Exemption” refers to certain degreed professionals such as doctors, lawyers, teachers, certified public accountants, architects and engineers.